Foreign nationals who want to work and live in Kenya can apply for a Class D Permit, also known as a Work Permit or Work VISA. This permit is issued to those who want to reside in Kenya or seek specific employment in Kenya. It is also given to businesses and organisations wishing to employ foreign nationals to work and live in Kenya. However, the application process can be tedious and monitored to encourage businesses and organisations to hire qualified Kenyans locally. Here are the eligibility criteria and requirements on how to apply for your class D Work Permit in Kenya:
- You must have a valid passport from your country of origin
- Must have a job or employment offer from a Kenyan employer
- Must have relevant qualifications and experience for the proposed job/employment offer
- Must provide evidence that a Kenyan citizen cannot fill the job
Requirements for a Class D Work Permit in Kenya:
- Copies of academic qualification certificates and professional certificates of the applicant
- Copy of the registration certificate of the employing company or organisation
- Company PIN registration certificate of the company or organisation
- Documented evidence that a Kenyan citizen cannot fill the position to be filled
- Tax compliance certificate of the employer company
- Executed immigration application form 22
- Passport photo of the applicant
- Copy of the passport of the applicant
- Cover letter from the company or organisation offering employment
- Contact information of the applicant (email, phone number, postal address, and residential address)
- Contact information of the employer (email, phone number, postal address, and residential address)
To apply for a Work Permit in Kenya, compile all the requirements and make an application to the Director of Immigration Services Kenya. There is a non-refundable application fee of KES 10,000. Once the application is successful, an approval certificate containing the permit terms will be issued. The beneficiary of a work permit is limited to work strictly only under the sponsoring or employer company under which the application was issued.
The official fees for a Work Permit in Kenya include the following:
- Application fee KES 10,000
- Permit fee KES 100,000 per year. Paid max two years at a time.
- Security Bond worth KES 100,000. The cost of a Bond varies with the Insurance company or Bank
- Consultation fee on request.
Renewal of a Work Permit in Kenya and Permit Application Services are also available. However, processing a Kenya Work Visa can take 3 to 6 months. Every immigrant can work in Kenya with a work permit, and all East Africans require a work permit to work in Kenya.
Upon resignation, termination of the employment contract, or change of jobs, the appropriate party should notify the Department of Immigration in writing. Some benefits of a Work Permit in Kenya include working like a local, applying for a PIN and being registered as a taxpayer, and purchasing or investing in leasehold property in Kenya.